[H-GEN] [H-ADMIN] Hi & Humbug AGM 2010

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Sep 14 02:42:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 15:48 +1000, Daniel Devine wrote:
> Anybody have an idea of what we would be obliged to do as a UQ club?

Quite apart from anything else, it requires 30 students to sign a form
saying they want to affiliate the club.

What I would give to have 30 student members.

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 15:47 +1000, Gary Curtis wrote:
> From memory the numbers were something like 70+% for Windows,
> 20+% for OSX, and less than one percent Linux.

The usefulness of those figures very much depends how they were derived,
which may well have been spelt out in the URL you don't have.

But to put it into context, if you asked the same question when Humbug
was formed I'd guess the figure would be very close to 0% using Unix,
yet Humbug was created and thrived.

The real question I would very much like the answer to is different.
When I was at UQ, along with a few other spent a good deal of my time
writing code on the only computers available, and reading computer stuff
just for the fun of it.  There was a club that sold computer time, and I
was a member of it.  I gather the founders of Humbug spent a good deal
of their time playing with Unix and this new fangled thing called the
internet.  Humbug provided an internet connection, and I am guessing
'nix machines to play with.

So my question is, what do today's hard core UQ computer students play
with?