[H-GEN] now cable capture

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Thu Oct 7 22:51:45 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 22:37 -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I can't see how they can prevent the signal being recorded by a TV tuner
> card given that a TV can display the unencrypted signal.

With HDCP the signal can be encrypted and certainly is at my house, but
you are probably happy with the lower quantity signal.

But yes you are right, using Foxtel's box to do the decoding will work.
The downsides are if you do that some of the more interesting uses, such
as recording more than one show, become impossible.  And you have to
reply on things like IR blasters to ensure the recorder is on, and
control what channel is being recorded.  IR blasters can be finicky and
unreliable things, particularly if some of the control signals are
toggles.  Eg, switching off/on.

For me those compromises ended up meaning too much pain for too little
gain.  Now that I think about it, I agree that may not be true for
everybody.