[H-GEN] Mobo + CPU + RAM + PSU

Stephen Thorne stephen at thorne.id.au
Tue Oct 5 02:40:59 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-05, Mick wrote:
> My father's system has developed a fault I can fix, when he turns it on
> it starts to cycle up for a few seconds the switches off and starts
> over.
>
> I replaced the mobo, cpu & power supply which solved the problem for a
> week, but today its done it again. nothing is getting hot and there is
> no visible faults so I guess its time for a replacement.
>
> I was thinking I might upgrade my 2.4GHz core2 duo E4600 + 2gig ddr2
> and pass on the replaced parts.
>
> Can anyone suggest what to get and someone reliable and inexpensive in
> the Petrie/Kallanga area?

Just as a suggestion, perhaps it's the power at his place being outside the
tolerance for the power supply. I recommend testing the machine at a different
location first, before spending money on more replacement parts.

If it is, indeed, crappy power, you can either get a more tolerant power supply
(I recommend a seasonic if you want something bulletproof) or install a UPS to
even out the power.

--
Regards,
Stephen Thorne