[H-GEN] Home NAS box and video streaming: how to choose a processor?

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 19:51:47 EDT 2010

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 19:05:41 +0100 Benjamin Fowler
<ben.fowler.bjf at gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of modern network-enabled TVs and game boxes can handle UPnP
> streaming across a LAN, although their codec support is usually
> pretty rotten, which means that some transcoding usually has to be
> done.  So does this mean that I'll have to stick a big, beefy
> processor into my custom NAS box to handle video transcoding?  This
> could be a problem, since I intend for the NAS box to be low-power,
> always-on, which works against my requirement for streaming video to
> my TV.
>
> What are peoples' experience with this little requirement?  Do they
> put beefy processors in their NAS boxes?  Or do they build fast media
> centre PCs to do the transcoding and use those?

Not sure if this is relevant, but it would be if heat output had a
relation to power used, AND it's the usage of power that is your reason
for not wanting to put a powerful CPU in.  Mind you, I've only just
started dabbling in modern CPUs, until a few weeks ago I only had
ancient 32 bit computer gear here.

My old main computer has become obsolete, and is now un-upgradable.  It
still is a reasonably powerful 32 bit system though.  So I specced out
a new 64 bit computer using the latest technology, with the plan of
getting cheap bits now to be able to upgrade them later.

To get to the point, this new system ended up being about twice as
grunty in general as my old one, but barely manages to generate any
heat when pushed hard for a long time.  My old one needs a big fan
turned on and the sides opened up when it works hard on a hot day.  It
gets hot. This new one, the reported internal temperatures are no more
than room temperature for a hot day, and I can not feel ANY heat coming
off the heatsinks, not even warm.  If this means that it's using way
less power than my old system, then I think you might be able to put
together a NAS with a grunty enough CPU and not have heat or power
issues.

I suspect all my CPU fan is doing is to move dust around.

Also, modern CPUs tend to be able to vary their power usage by clocking
themselves down when not under heavy load.  You can have your cake and
eat it to.