[H-GEN] Preidents report for period ending 2010-Oct-02

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Fri Oct 1 08:36:08 EDT 2010

Here is your my presidents for the period since the AGM.

In short, nothing much has happened.  That's mainly because we have yet
to have our first Exec meeting since the AGM.

However, nothing much doesn't mean nothing at all.

On the LCA front, a provisional conference schedule is up.  This was
Marco Ostini's (an old humbuger) responsibility, and he and and helpers
got it done and on time:

  http://lca2011.linux.org.au/programme/schedule

We currently plan to open by the start on Monday the 2010-10-03.  If
nothing else, this means the web site must be solid with most of the
information delegates present and easy to find.  Stress levels are
raising accordingly.  Since most committee members are in some way
related connected to Humbug, expect us to be a little pernickety for the
next few days.

One other thing is happening.  As you all know we holding a LCA
competition.  Currently the ball is my court.  I have effectively taken
on the responsibility of the promoter, meaning I have to somehow get
students to enter.  I have contacted lecturers at the three Uni's in
Brisbane.  Some have agreed to put up slides I have to create for them,
some have invited me to address their students at their lectures, some
have expressed no interest, and some have not answered the phone as yet.
I honestly don't know how well this will turn out.  I hope we will get
lots of students, but two is also a possibly.  (We have two regular
student attendees now.)

Nonetheless the dates are set.  The students can turn up at either our
16th Oct or 30th Oct to join our meetings, chat to us and our judges.
AJ has agreed to be a judge, and Ben Martin will as well if he doesn't
end up overseas at the time.  I will try and arrange talks for those two
meetings.  One of them may be me.  If so it will be a highly technical
talk that I have given elsewhere before.  Not exactly the best talk for
Humbug perhaps, but the BE (software) students probably won't mind it.
So put your badges on, chat to the students, be patient with whoever is
doing the talks, and hopefully there will be more of us in the future.