[H-GEN] Dvorak keyboard

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon May 10 05:27:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 17:54:27 +1000 Daniel Devine <devine at ddevnet.net>
wrote:

> I will try this too I think. Maybe this week if I have the time.
> I have been meaning to buy one (both times I could not find one)  to
> see what the fuss is about but making one is obviously easier.

There are three ways to make one.  I have tried all three.

You can just rearrange the key tops.  The big problem with that is that
most keyboards are sculpted, meaning each key is a subtly slightly
different shape.  If you try this, you end up with a lumpy keyboard
that feels unnatural.

You can also just draw new symbols on the keys using a different
colour.  I have yet to find a method that does not rub off soon.  Mind
you, I'm very hard on keyboards.  A variation is to engrave new
letters, then go over the engraved grooves with a permanent marker.

The third method is to put sticky labels on the keys.  You can buy
these, often for converting the very common USA keyboards to some other
language.  Does not matter, the labels fit on any key.  So far that has
proven to have greater longevity than the previous method.

PFU used to sell dvorak keytops for their Happy Hacking keyboards, but
the stopped before I got mine from them, and they only supply sticky
labels now.

I mentioned I'm very hard on keyboards, even the toughest ones tend to
get deep gouges in them over time.  So you may get better results than
I have so far.  On the other hand, it could be seen as a good test of
the dvorak layout.  Most of the wear and tear is indeed on the home row
where it should be.  Only one sticky label remains on the home row, the
rest is missing (or badly damaged) about a third of the labels.

I have come up with the idea of using metal letter shapes and melting
them into the keytops.  THAT might survive a little longer.  Have not
found suitable metal shapes yet.

The three subtle problems you might have that have nothing to do with
how you make one -

Letting other people use your keyboard.  They tend to expect QWERTY.
For some this is not a problem, it only happens to me rarely.

Using other peoples keyboards once you have gotten used to dvorak.  One
of the reasons I got the Happy Hacking keyboard is coz it fits neatly
into a smallish bag.  I can take it everywhere and use it on other
peoples computers.  I do that in 'net cafes all the time.

BIOS wont know about it.  Usually not a problem with the stable unix
based OS's that the people in this mailing list tend to use, we hardly
ever reboot.  B-)

I'm still considering making a USB keymap converter to solve those
last two problems.

A related problem is that a few programs will assume a QWERTYlayout.
This may or may not be a problem.  If your fingers have a strong muscle
memory for WASD in first person shooter games, you may find your game
is off a bit.  Some will let you remap keys, but others don't.

Personally, I think the effort has been worth it for me.