[H-GEN] Linux Home Server HOWTO

Daniel Devine devine at ddevnet.net
Sat Feb 20 22:20:37 EST 2010

I almost forgot! I tried to turn up to the exec meeting a few weeks
ago but I screwed up my travel arrangements and arrived an hour late.
The minutes have been posted on the Wiki which says the results were:

"Linux Home Server HOWTO
Miles Brennan has offered up control of his _Linux Home Server HOWTO_
to Humbug for us to maintain. The Executive needs to determine if we
should accept this work and how it might be maintained.
The general consensus is that it will be difficult to find someone to
maintain it. "

Had I been there I would have stuck my hand up for this.
It is quite a bit of work however the content is good and I would
really hate to see it go. I run CentOS servers so the FC5 oriented
content is familiar to me.

We/I could also think about changing how the book is maintained; I
think it may be better to release the content as an open source book
in the style that Dive Into Python (IIRC) does. It is just like an
open source coding project in which you set up a VCS and project
guidelines and then you develop and maintain the code.
Perhaps some others can help maintain it? There seems to be a bit of
community around the http://howtoforge.com site which may be
interested in helping as they write/use this type of content all the
time.