[H-GEN] Presidents Report

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Thu Feb 4 22:31:48 EST 2010

Hi Russell

----- "Russell Stuart" <russell-humbug at stuart.id.au> wrote:
>     The club should be aware our getting free rooms from UQ
>     currently depends almost entirely on the representations made
>     on our behalf by Nick Tate, Director of UQ ITS.  I personally
>     don't know Nick, and thus can't speak for his motivations in
>     doing this.  However I do know he is a very active member of
>     our industry, and in particular is Chairman of ACS Queensland
>     at Australian Computer Society, and an Adjunct Professor of
>     ITEE at UQ.  It says a lot about the ACS that a chairman of
>     one of its chapters see fit to lend a helping hand to an
>     open source group.

Not fussed on ACS as their organisational cluelevel on OSS IS NULL.
ITEE QLD is definitely OSS aware, and was actively involved with OSDC in 2007.

>     So far it has proved a struggle to find ways to acknowledge
>     UQ's and Nick's kindness towards us, but hopefully the Exec
>     can work something out in the next few months.  All ideas are
>     welcome.

Organisations are comprised of people, so I'd focus on the people, in this case Nick specifically. See what kind of booze he likes, and buy a few bottles of it.
If you can't find out indirectly, simply ask him.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: packages for MySQL and MariaDB @ http://ourdelta.org