[H-GEN] external USB drive

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Wed Dec 15 07:34:15 EST 2010

Russell Stuart wrote on 15/12/2010 06:25:34 PM:

> > Some of my colleagues went to a presentation recently, between iPhone
> > OS / Android / Windows 7.
>
> Let me guess.  This person was a representative of a US company.  Only
> someone from the US would ignore phones from the largest seller of smart
> phones on the planet - Nokia.

Nice comment, but I don't think it was :)

Personally, my gripe with Nokia is that they had the leadership, and they
purchased the technology (ie Qt), but seem to have lost the edge with
innovation.

> > This market segment is being fought over, and Microsoft is still
> > competing strongly.
>
> Yes, the market place is being fought over.  And yes, Microsoft is
> trying to compete.  But it is an uphill battle now.  Their mobile phone
> sales growth rates have gone negative, which is an dismal effort in what
> is one of the fastest growing computing segments.

Totally agree

> Win Phone 7 is also a WinCE based OS.  If they haven't fixed the
> underlying OS they are putting lipstick on a pig.

It would seem they have, but too late to be more than a "me too" ???

> Looking at Win Phone 7's hardware stipulations, it may be Microsoft
> realises all this and is trying to avoid the problem by simply not
> allowing much in the way of hardware variation.  That may well solve the
> reliability problem, but at the expense of being steam rolled by the
> price and hardware range created by the variation Google does
> successfully allow now.

I agree, it is a limiting approach

> > The recent lawsuits against Google are an indication that this will be
> > a hot topic, with mobile devices the driving factor.
>
> I am not sure what Oracle's lawsuits against Google are about.  The most
> likely explanation seems to be Oracle is milking the Java cash cow for
> all it is worth as it gallantly sails into a cobol'esk like retirement.
> But Apple's patent disputes against most of the mobile phone companies
> on the planet and the retaliatory patent strikes suits make your point.

At the heart of the Oracle lawsuits is the fact Google didn't sign-up to
their (well Sun's) restrictive licensing for Java on mobile devices. A
more paranoid person would wonder at the timing of the two.

Regards

Nickolas Kwiatkowski
 348 Edward Street

Brisbane Architecture Practice Manager