[H-GEN] external USB drive

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Dec 14 21:14:56 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 12:01 +1000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> to an external drive. I have been contemplating purchasing one but from
> my limited research I understand some don't play well with Linux.
> Any suggested brands to consider or avoid?

I assume others will chime in, but I will add my data point: I have
never had an external HDD not work with Linux.  In fact I have never had
a HDD or any sort not work with Linux.  The interfaces (USB / IDE /
SATA / ESATA / SCSI / SAS ...) are so well standardised everything just
works.

HDD controllers are a different story, especially some of the more
esoteric RAID controllers.  But you aren't talking about them.

NAS's work well enough, but the cheap ones are dog slow.  On the other
hand if you have a NAS, then you can set up rdiff-backup to provide an
Apple TimeMachine like backup system whenever your machine senses it is
at home.  Sometimes shear convenience makes up for dog slow.