[H-GEN] dual boot problems after upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sun Dec 12 18:48:56 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 09:27 +1000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> The other day I upgraded to 10.10 and then tried to boot into my XP
> partition. It gives a blue screen of death with some text that goes past
> too fast to read and then automatically reboots. When I put in an XP
> disk it stops at the blue screen that says the disk has changed. However
> it freezes the system (so I can't do a recover) and I need a hard reboot.
> Anyone else come across this? Any suggestions?

You weren't playing with bitlocker or the TPM?  The only thing that
could (and probably did) change is the boot record.  I've never had a
problem with that myself, but I do know it can cause problems if you are
using the TPM because the measurement for the boot process changes.
Bitlocker can use the TPM in some modes.

If this is the problem the fix is to restore the old MBR.  You must use
the exact one installed by Windows (ie the one that was "measured" by
the TPM).  This project has a bunch of them:

  http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/

I don't know whether it will have the one you want.