[H-GEN] Non cash payment - was Re: Constitutional changes I will be proposing at the AGM

Benjamin Fowler somelamer567 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:05:00 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 25 August 2010 16:41, Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, James Lever wrote:
>
>  non-Australian members who do not have an Australian bank account will not
>> be able to economically perform a direct financial transfer due to
>>

> Most (all?) of the people who are outside Australia but want to be members
> are likely to have lived in Brisbane once and so still have an Aussie bank
> account (I do :) ).

Not everybody.  I got tired of getting shafted by bank fees and late fees.
Filing tax returns, because I earnt 10 cents income from interest is
annoying too. So I told ANZ where they could stick their savings account and
credit card.

>  the hideous cost of international bank transfers (often fees can be
>> multiple times the cost of HUMBUG membership).  This is where it becomes
>>

> Minimum fee is usually around $25 from North America but yes it is a pain.
> Drawing a cheque on a foreign currency (AUD) normally costs a few bucks and
> is similarly a pain.

Amen, forex through the banks is yet another ripoff.  I remember it being
high double-digits when I wired some money home to pay off my HECS debt
(another uniquely Aussie ripoff).

>  worthwhile to have some form of proper eCommerce/online payment mechanism
>> that accepts major credit cards etc.  Some members may choose to use this
>> option for convenience rather than direct deposit transfers also.
>>

> I'm all for that but have two thoughts:
>
> (a) Who's going to code it?
>
> (b) What sort of merchant fees are involved?
>
> I'd also like to see multi-year sign ups allowed.  This offers both
> convenience and allows the member to join up at today's rate not a future
> rate.  The advantage to the club is more money now, at the expense of later.

I'm very supportive of multi-year signups, since I'm around at least once a
year, but am not always able to get down to HUMBUG.

Cheers, Ben.

--
Ben Fowler <somelamer567 at gmail.com>

http://facebook.com/ben.j.fowler
http://bjf-thw.blogspot.com/
http://bjf-codebrown.blogspot.com/
*
"**Anyone who thinks the Large Hadron Collider will destroy the world is a
twat.*" -- Prof. Brian Cox

**