[H-GEN] Non cash payment - was Re: Constitutional changes I will be proposing at the AGM

deadcat humbug.deadcat at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 10:15:59 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Matthew Franklin <
matthew.franklin at lca2011.linux.org.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:13 PM, deadcat <humbug.deadcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would do online payment too, if there was the option.
> >
> > I would like to know why we can't just do bank transfers? Lots of
> businesses
> > put their
> > bank bsb and account number on their invoices or other documentation when
> > they ask for
> > money and you can just transfer the payment. They usually ask that you
> put
> > the invoice
> > number or other identifying information as the description. I didn't
> think
> > it cost the payee
> > to accept payments in this manner.
> > I think I may have asked this question of a treasurer once, but I don't
> > recall the answer.
>
> The answer is yes. The account details are
> # Bank: Commonwealth Bank
> # BSB: 064-158
> # Account Number: 10136633
> # Account Name: Home Unix Machine Brisbane User Group
>
> The information is up on the website
> http://www.humbug.org.au/Membership . I think there may have been a
> noticed sent but I'm not absolutely sure about this.
>
> Matt

Thanks for that Matt.

So, my next question is: are bank transfers "online" enough to render the
membership fee increase/discount issue pointless? Does it really matter that
it's not all automated and fancy-like? Isn't the main idea that non-local
members who want to be financial and contribute to the continued life of
HUMBUG can now do so via bank transfer?
Or am I missing Russell's goal?