[H-GEN] Constitutional changes I will be proposing at the AGM

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Aug 24 04:07:49 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 17:05 +1000, Matthew Franklin wrote:
> Those that pay online shouldn't be penalised for doing so.

If people want to take the more convenient option and pay more that is
their decision.  However, for the people who this proposal was designed
for, ie those distant and particular those overseas who have to somehow
arrange for $20 cash to appear in Australia, the $25 will be probably be
cheaper than whatever fees their bank charges to do international
cheques or transfers.

> If we feel that Humbug needs more money, maybe to cover some future
> expense, then why not just increase the fee overall?

As I said in the proposal, I specifically did not want to alter the fees
Humbug receives.  That was quite deliberate, as I wanted to avoid the
rather obvious trap of this proposal getting chewed up and discarded in
because of some irrelevant discussion about the appropriate level of
membership fees.

If you want to have that discussion and to argue that we should _reduce_
the fees Humbug gets (because that is in effect what you are proposing)
then by all means lets have that discussion.  But I'd rather not get it
tangled up with this one.

By the way, last I looked, the fees for processing a one off payment is
more than $5.  It only drops below that if we process many at a time.
There may be other vendors out there that will accept our business,
don't charge a monthly fee and charge less, but I didn't find one.
Suggestions with URL's on better options are welcome.