[H-GEN] Constitutional changes I will be proposing at the AGM

Greg Black gjb at yaxom.com
Tue Aug 24 02:16:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 16:08, Brendon Higgins <blhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Russell Stuart wrote (2010-08-24 14:51):
>>
>> Change 1 - Membership fees
>> ==========================
>>
>> As some of you may know, I hope to get membership payments online on
>> day.  The major motivation for doing this is to allow Humbug members who
>> have moved away to remain financial members.  One stumbling block here
>> are the fees levied by the online payment provider.
>>
>> Since I don't want to actually the change the fees Humbug receives from
>> the current $20,
>
> Honest question: why? I find it curious that your proposal is to penalise those
> who wish to continue supporting the club even in absentia. Admittedly it's
> only a few dollars, but I still find it curious to add that disincentive.

Since most, possibly all, of the members who have been agitating for online
payments have made it clear that they don't care if they have to pay a bit more
because being able to pay at all is the issue of concern, I think this question
is easy to answer with another: why penalise the club and its limited finances
just to provide a convenience for well off members?

Cheers, Greg (who is one of those who will happily pay the $25)