[H-GEN] Constitutional changes I will be proposing at the AGM

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Aug 24 02:05:19 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 15:17 +1000, David Seikel wrote:
> I've not been a financial member for over a
> year.  If this is passed, would I be able to rock up at the next AGM,
> having not paid at all in the intervening year, pay membership on the
> day, and fall back on my past years of financial membership in good
> standing for voting privileges at that next AGM?

Yes, exactly.  But your membership would cost you $20 and last a day or
so.

> Though from memory, membership tends to be taken by the incoming exec
> members after the AGM is over.
>
> Either way, I'll not have voting rights for THIS AGM anyway.

The issue did come up last year, and last years Exec ruled [1] read the
current wording to mean what I am proposing here.  In effect my proposed
change just formalises the previous Exec's decision on the matter.

I confess haven't discussed the issue haven't with this years Exec, so
we will have to make a ruling on the day if the issue comes up.  I guess
it is obvious which way I lean on the issue.

> This is still ambiguous.

I see Greg has put up a refinement, which I think is better.  Here is
another one:

        h. Only members who are financial at the start of a Special
        General Meeting and who were financial sometime between 3 months
        and 3 years prior to the start of the meeting have voting rights
        at that Special General Meeting.

The difference between Greg's proposal and this one is we no longer have
to count the number of days they were financial.