[H-GEN] Presidents Report for period ending 7/Aug/2010

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Fri Aug 6 06:05:41 EDT 2010

Here is my Presidents for the period ending 2010-08-07.

Committee reports submitted at the last Exec meeting:
  President:      done & accepted by the exec.
  Vice President: done & accepted by the exec.
  Secretary:      done & accepted by the exec.
  Treasurer:      done & accepted by the exec - but was late.
  Librarian:      done & accepted by the exec.

The "but was late" remark above reflects the committee's decision at its
2010-Feb-06 meeting to only accept reports submitted in writing prior to
the meeting

Outstanding items from the last minutes:
  Getting a New PO Box Key: Clinton sent out an email earlier on today
  that he would organise it this morning at a cost of $6.

However, it is likely it won't be outstanding as of the next Exec
meeting as Clinton intends to get it Saturday morning.

Not much has happened since the last exec meeting.  That is perhaps
because all of the Executive is on the LCA 2011 committee, and quite a
bit has been happening there.  The Call For Papers been issued.  The
submission period will close tomorrow, but if history is any guide will
reopen for a short period to allow the stragglers to get their papers
in.

Doing the Call For Papers turned out to be surprisingly difficult.
Actually doing the deed is bordering on trivial of course, but before
you can do that you need a working web site, which needs a working
server and DNS entries ... and so on.  Thus some of you may have noticed
some of us on the LCA 2011 committee working on this during Humbug
meetings.  We got it all working in the end, but a couple of weeks late.

The next big event in the Humbug calendar is the AGM, which will be held
on the first meeting in September.  The primary business will as usual
be electing the new committee for the next 12 months.  I encourage to
nominate yourself and your friends for a positions on the new committee.
I will be standing for re-election.

As president I will be chairing the AGM.  As usual contributions to
proceedings from members on the day will be welcome, but with one
change.  If anyone wants to put a motion to alter the constitution, that
the changes and the actual text of the motion in an email to this list
at least one week prior to the AGM.  This is because I believe changes
to the constitution are a fairly serious matter.  The membership needs
to be given some time to consider them.  Hearing it for the first time
10 minutes before having to vote on it doesn't do it justice.