[H-GEN] Opensolaris ZFS backup options

Patrick Nichols lists at panic.id.au
Sat Sep 26 06:39:51 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I've recently been playing with opensolaris.  I've mastered most of the
problems I've had with it and now I'm using it as my primary fileserver
and vm server.  I'm down to one task on my list and I'm not sure of the
best solution.

My problem is simply reliable unattended backups.  I want to produce
bootable USB drive clones of my mirrored root pool (rpool).  I'm
currently doing this with "zpool attach ...", "zpool offline ..." and
"zpool detach".  This takes user input to determine the drive (which
could probably be scripted) and I don't want this.  The main problem is
that system performance drops while the usb drive is attached to the rpool.

What I had working when I was using linux in this machine's place was
plugging in a usb drive.  Then at a pre-determined time (7am Wed for
instance) it would check which drives were connected (/dev/dsk/by-uuid)
and perform a backup to the external drive, unmount it and produce an
emailed report. I could remove the drive at any time and I'd have a
consistent backup from 7am Wednesday morning.  It also worked with more
than one drive attached and would backup to all attached usb drives that
matched my scripts requirements.

What is the best way to do the same thing with my shiny new opensolaris
host and zfs filesystems?  I'm guessing zfs send/receive, but I don't
know how to produce a copy with the same name, or arrange for the system
to boot off a different root pool name.

Thanks,
Patrick.

--