[H-GEN] [Exec] My points for the exec meeting on the 19/9/2009.

James Iseppi lists at iseppi.org
Fri Sep 18 09:13:48 EDT 2009

Hi Russell,

On 18/09/2009, at 3:27 PM, Russell Stuart wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug
> and     ]
> [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will
> vanish. ]
>
> On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 12:33 +0800, matheist76 at westnet.com.au wrote:
>> In conclusion. I am going to put forth a motion that all changes to
>> roles at
>> least be voluntary and that we shouldn't be forced into new
>> positions simply
>> because you as President want them.
>
> Matt, I can't force anyone to do anything.   It would be nice if I
> could, but I can't.  That is why my proposals are motions, which I
> will
> be putting to the Exec, and we will as a group pass them or not as we
> see fit.  I realise they are contentious.  That is why I posted
> early to
> give everybody chance to think about them.

No, but 51% of the Exec can force the rest of the exec to do jobs that
they didn't sign up for, which is what I think Matthew is getting at.
The decision to change the duties of an office holder, at a minimum,
should have the consent of the affected person. This really should
have been decided at the AGM, and quite possibly involved amendments
to the constitution, prior to the elections.

> Putting a motion saying that I shall not do something I can't do and
> am
> not doing is a waste of everybody's time.  You can put if you like of
> course - I will even vote for it, but its probably best if you
> withdraw
> it so we can save a bit of time at the meeting.  It is probably be
> going
> to long one as it is.

Matt's proposed motion would simply require that the decision made on
your proposed motion is a unanimous executive decision, rather than an
executive decision (simple majority). Personally I think you should
simply make your motion require a unanimous result to pass out of
courtesy to all the members on the exec who's job is proposed to be
changed, and therefore Matt's motion should be unnecessary.

James