[H-GEN] raymonds missing agenda items

Gary Curtis gazilla at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 19:37:37 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 08:11, James C. McPherson
<James.C.McPherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>
> matheist76 at westnet.com.au wrote:
>
>> Also I have issue with using just the initials to indicate which
>> members have proposed the agenda items. Example:  Russell
>> Stuart and Raymond Smith both end up as [rs]. I would think
>> that a far better way would be to use your full name. You could
>> do it this way [Raymond Smith] or add it to the end of the
>> agenda item like this -- Matthew Franklin. Either way works.
>

> You could also use middle initials. That's what we do inside
> Sun for this sort of thing.
>
> James C. McPherson

Most people will not know the middle initial of other members.

I believe the defacto standard is to use the full name when it
is first encountered and the initials are defined at that point.
Thereafter, the initials are used.

So if we refer to Russell Stuart [RS] first, then later in the text
we refer to Raymond Smith [RS2] we can then have an item
raised by RS2 and seconded by RS. It is also possible to use
nicknames instead of initials. e.g. Gary Curtis [Gaz].

Gaz