[H-GEN] Planet Humbug - time to retire or fix

James Iseppi lists at iseppi.org
Tue Sep 8 05:32:08 EDT 2009

Hi All,
On 08/09/2009, at 12:44 PM, Russell Stuart wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 12:20 +1000, Daniel Devine wrote:
>> I would like to see the planet working in the interest of keeping the
>> community active.
>
> I don't want to put words in Greg's mouth, but I will anyway.  Greg's
> attitude is that either planet should work, or it should be removed.
> Not unreasonable, really.  Having planet up there and not working is
> just an embarrassment.
>
> Embarrassment or not, it has been like this for months.  I agree with
> Greg - someone should fix it.  Remarkably just about anyone could fix
> it.  The problem is no one has.

This definitely sounds reasonable, and personally I'd like to see it
fixed.

> It isn't like it is difficult.  All you have to do is download a
> copy of
> the VM image, figure out why it doesn't work, and post a patch to
> general.  (If making a copy of the VM work sounds difficult email
> me.  I
> not have put up an anything remotely resembling good documentation on
> the procedure yet.)
>
> You could post the patch to the sysadmin list of course, but there
> have
> been some loud whinges in the past year that the sysadmin list
> sometimes
> functions like a black hole so I would not recommend it.  I suspect
> that
> problem will reduce considerably when the sysadmin list becomes open.

Firstly I'd like to ask what has been sent to the sysadmin mailing
list since May 10 2009 (The day on which said mailing list was
created), that hasn't been answered in a reasonable timeframe? I can
find one issue that was not resolved in an ideal timeframe, and that
was in relation to the meeting.humbug.org.au domain. Any issues sent
to the address prior to that date could have gone anywhere, and were
most definitely not going to a mailing list, just an email address
acting as an alias for several people.

I cannot find anyone reporting the issue of planet HUMBUG not working
anywhere in the archives of the sysadmin mailing list, nor has it been
mentioned to anyone who could fix it until last Saturday night. So my
first question would be, why has no one told us (ie. the Sysadmin's)
that it's not working? It's really hard to fix something that you
don't use yourself when no one tells you it's broken.

> It also pisses me off that planet isn't working, as I used it.  I have
> been putting it off fixing myself because I am as slack as the best of
> you, but isn't fixed when I get back from my holiday next month, I
> will
> probably fix it myself.

I've now fixed it (I hope), and if anyone posts something that should
be syndicated on planet humbug, and it doesn't turn up on there within
about an hour, could you please send an email to
sysadmin at humbug.org.au and I'm sure someone will be happy to look at
the issue.

Thanks
James Iseppi