[H-GEN] Potential "Yubikey" order.

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at lusan.id.au
Thu May 21 05:47:50 EDT 2009

Greetings all,

Having recently seen a friend with a working "Yubikey" a few of us are
interested in putting together an order. It seems to make sense to do a
group order to reduce the overall per unit cost and the postage costs.

A "Yubikey" is a usb key that is an auth method. Information is at
http://www.yubico.com/  and I have confirmation that what is currently
described on the product description page as the "Yubikey Plus" is the
only version in production at them moment. There is alot of information
on the website and the wiki as to how the key can be used and
configured, and the software that supports it. I personally like the
potential for using the thing as a OTP system for access to my
VPN/remote servers. At the moment for a quantity of 1-9 we are looking
at $25US/key + postage, for 10-99 $20US/key + postage and over 100
$15US/key +postage (postage is $15US/order over 5 keys). Obviously every
reduction in $US is a big drop in $AU/unit.

Right now we are simply looking at expressions of interest, if we gauge
that there is enough interest we will sort out some method of doing a
group bulk order with the aim of reducing the cost per key to as little
as possible. The group looking at doing this is based in Brisbane, so
anyone not wanting to arrange pickup in Brisbane would need to pay extra
postage above the costing in the order - since these devices are about
the thickness of a coin they can be posted via standard aussie post
(probably express post) envelopes.

If you are interested please contact me off list to say that you are
interested and a rough estimate of how many you might be interested in.
I plan on keeping expressions open for at least 10 days, then I will
contact people and let them know about what we are looking at per unit.

I am not looking to make a profit from this, but I am not in a position
to cover any shortfalls. My aim is simply to get myself a few of these
at the lowest price I can, I know that there is more than one other
person with the same interest - hopefully we can get enough interest to
get the price seriously reduced.

Thanks for tolerating the whims of a few uber geeks :)
--
Nikolai Lusan <nikolai at lusan.id.au>