[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon May 11 07:04:31 EDT 2009

I've effectively been off the 'net since iBurst closed down just before
Christmas.  A nightmare telling for some other time. 27,000 emails to
catch up on.  lol

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:26:05 -0500 (EST) Robert Brockway
<robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:

> Fairly early on the exec decided that a non-*nix OS (we meant
> MS-Windows but didn't say it) could be used at a meeting to assist in
> the installation or use of a *nix OS.  Examples given were booting
> MS-Windows to burn a cdrom, compare device behaviour in another OS,
> debug a network problem, etc.  Effectively MS-Windows wasn't meant to
> be run for its own sake.
>
> I heard this position reiterated many times over the years after I
> left the exec so it seemed to have been a standard line for a long
> time.  The policy was aimed at preventing people coming along,
> booting MS-Win and sucking bandwidth when we had a comparatively
> large amount of it.

During my time on exec that was the official policy, Windows was only
to be used at meetings as a means to an end, that end being to help get
some version of unix running, or running better.