[H-GEN] Talk at today's Humbug meeting

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Tue Mar 24 22:20:02 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 14:28 +0900, matheist76 at westnet.com.au wrote:
> A few idea's that I've been looking at. Let's have the professional dinner but
> at the same time include for a very low price say less than $5 a very unprofessional dinner
> that is fully supported and organized by the lca committee.

Yes, the unprofessional dinner has become a fixture now, and so should
be part of the bid.

> Another thing. With the website
> we could post the dates as well as other information for the lca when we get it up and
> running then as time goes on. We could also have links to stuff like the Australia zoo. This
> way they can preplan their whole holiday before coming to the event.

My opinion of the LCA web site has never been high.  The basic stuff - a
pretty landing page, taking registrations, and the programme is done
well enough.  However as a notice board for collecting all the other
information you might need - accommodation information, local touristy
information, a way of reviewing restaurants, cross indexing speakers
with their notes, allowing comments on individual talks, and I guess the
facebooky type interaction in general is either poor or non-existent.
Whether you provide these things by putting together the site itself or
outsourcing it to someone like facebook / google is an open question.
Doing it yourself is a huge undertaking, outsourcing it to a
close-source mob like facebook doesn't seem right.  But coming up with a
solution and putting it into the bid would be a winner.

> I think that we do need
> to the speakers dinner. However for the people that feel left out we do need to provide them
> with other events. I was also thinking of setting up an orientation course. Where you pick
> what type of meal that you want a rough guess at how long you want the course to be. You then
> get given a card with directions that you follow to get to the restaurant that your after. If
> we do it right it wouldn't take much effort and it could be a lot of fun.

Yes, I tend to agree.  I would like to find some of organising events
that corral people with similar interests into the same place - be it
the place they eat, compute, talk or whatever.