[H-GEN] Two excellent printers for sale

Greg Black gjb at yaxom.com
Sun Jun 21 01:46:57 EDT 2009

Folks, I have two printers in excellent condition for sale.  They are no
longer needed because I have recently purchased a new printer that does
the jobs of these two in one unit.

They both work perfectly with Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS-X, and no
doubt also with Windows (although I haven't tested them with Windows).

Rather than try to sell them on eBay, I'm going to offer them to Humbug
members and friends.  My lack of enthusiasm for eBay was increased by
this recent story by Bruce Schneier:

  http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/06/fraud_on_ebay.html

I'm happy to bring them along to a Humbug meeting for collection, or you
can arrange a time to collect them from my house in Indooroopilly.  The
first sensible offer for either printer (or, preferably, both) gets it
or them.

I've included links to the relevant pages from the OpenPrinting database
at www.linuxprinting.org where you can see how they rate and what they
need for Linux use.  There's also a review of the Deskjet.

 1. HP LaserJet 5MP

    BW laser printer, max. 600x600 dpi, works perfectly
    Builtin PostScript, parallel port

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_5MP

    This printer comes with a power cable and a parallel cable, and it
    has an installed near-new toner cartridge.  It also comes with a
    new, unopened genuine HP toner cartridge.

 2. HP DeskJet 6540

    Color inkjet printer, max. 4800x1200 dpi, works perfectly
    Includes optional duplex unit, USB

    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_6540

    This printer comes with a power cable, driver/documentation CD and
    paper documentation.  Its black and colour ink cartridges have just
    been replaced with new HP cartridges and it has printed only a
    couple of test pages.

These printers are just taking up space at my house now, so I'd like to
see them go to a good home.  Please reply to this email with an offer if
you're interested.

Cheers, Greg