[H-GEN] People's experience at lca.

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Sun Jun 7 22:46:33 EDT 2009

Hi Russell

On 08/06/2009, at 11:56 AM, Russell Stuart wrote:
>> g) At all of 2007 - 2009 speakers dinners, and 2007 and 2009
>> conference
>> dinners; alcohol was available in quantity before any food was
>> available.  In fact in the 2008 speakers dinner, the alcohol was
>> available for at least 1 hour before any substantial food was
>> available.
>> In my opinion (despite this being industry practice) this boarders on
>> irresponsible serving of alcohol
>
> The cocktail format followed at professional delegates session is, as
> you say, a standard practise - so standard that it has a name.  If the
> young professional isn't familiar with this sort of thing it going
> to be
> a good learning experience.  Hopefully, if a delegate does muff it
> up at
> LCA, it is at least a lesson is learnt.
>
> On the other hand too much alcohol at the speakers dinner doesn't
> should
> like a good idea.  Part of the organisers job is to deliver a good
> series of talks.  Keeping your speakers away from the booze seems
> prudent.

It's entirely avoidable, and this has been proven in practice.
OSDC 2007 had snack platters served at the same time as the cocktails
started. This ensured that a) people weren't drinking on an empty
stomach and b) noone would be hungry for the dinner while the pre-
dinner talk was going on.

Furthermore, the serving of alcohol ended during the end of the main
course. People were able to "capture" a wine bottle before closing and
finish it. This did not detract in any way from the excellent
enjoyment of the evening, as everybody present will attest.
Conclusion: continued and excessive boozing is not necesary.

Mind you, the OSDC 2007 booze was free/inclusive for all conference
attendees, as was the dinner itself.
It was not done on the cheap, it was done smartly. There is a distinct
difference.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Affordable Training and ProActive Support for MySQL & related

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org