[H-GEN] NFS4 and ownerships

James C. McPherson James.C.McPherson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 18:05:39 EST 2009

Joel Michael wrote:

> Nikolai Lusan wrote:
>> I have been beating my head against this for a couple of days now. I
>> have had a working nfs4 server dealing out my home directory and some
>> other shares over my network for sometime now, however I am currently
>> experiencing an "issue" with this. The issue is that all the uid/gid
>> numbers on the mounted files are squashed to nobody:nogroup ... this is
>> not very useful when one is trying to mount their home directory :)
>>
> (I won't bore you with my full Linux NFSv4 rant - the short version is
> "it's not quite done yet."  We eventually threw in the towel and went
> back to NFSv3)
>
> Sounds suspiciously like your rpc.idmapd is not working properly.  Check
> your /etc/idmapd.conf (I think that's it, but it's been a long time
> since I've used it) to make sure that the "domain" parameter is set
> exactly the same across all clients and the server.

Yep, that's the conclusion we came to on the channel last
week. With the same domain entry in /etc/idmapd.conf on
server + client, his NFSv4 setup appears to be working
correctly.

When we started implementing NFSv4 in Solaris the NFSMAPID_DOMAIN
setting was something that just about everybody forgot to check
if they had the same sort of problem that Nikolai had. That made
it pretty high up my list of things to check before resorting
to suggesting snooping the wire :-)

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog