[H-GEN] Squid forwarded_for option

David Duffy (AVD) david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Wed Jan 21 19:37:54 EST 2009

Ted Percival wrote:
> David Duffy (AVD) wrote:
>
>> I have a Debian server with squid running. The forwarded_for option was
>> turned on by default. I have now turned it off. Was there any inherent
>> security problem with outside people knowing the internal IP address of
>> the (Windows) boxes? This server does have firewall rules in place.
>>

> There is only a problem if you believe in security through obscurity.

So, what you're saying is that it poses no additional threat? ie. A
properly configured server will be equally as effective whether or not
the forwarded_for option is turned on.
David...

David Duffy        Audio Visual Devices P/L
Unit 8, 10 Hook St, Capalaba 4157 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38235717      Fax: +61 7 38234717
Our Web Site: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au