[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Wed Jan 14 19:51:35 EST 2009

Hi AJ

On 15/01/2009, at 10:17 AM, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:39:27PM +1000, Arjen Lentz wrote:
>> Running Firefox on Windows is a small step that many users will take.
>> So it's a good first step. If HUMBUG does not wish to deal with that
>> step, then the steps that can follow won't happen either for those
>> many users. Lost opportunity, very wasteful. And for what purpose??
>
> What does HUMBUG have to do with running Firefox on Windows, though?
> It's
> already easy, so there's not much installation help needed; I don't
> think there's anyone in HUMBUG any good at hacking Firefox [0], and I
> suspect even if there are no one's good at hacking it under Windows;
> I don't think there's anyone in HUMBUG who does much plugin
> development
> for Firefox, either, though I could easily be wrong there. What's
> left?
>
> I guess one thing that could leave out is introducing people to less
> well
> known/easy Unixy/open source stuff on Windows (OpenOffice,
> Thunderbird,
> VNC, putty ssh, [that's all I know of, I'm sure there's more]). Don't
> know how many existing members know stuff about that though.

yes Firefox was the example. Indeed it shouldn't cause too many
hassles and many people who don't give a stuff for OSS in general are
already running Firefox now.
OpenOffice is a good next step, and may need a bit more help for some
specific aspects of usage.

I believe there's a version of Evolution for Windows now, that's
probably a more suitable replacement for existing Outlook users since
it's so similar in many respects.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au)
MySQL Training from $475/day, DBA/Support from $249/month

My blog is at http://arjen-lentz.livejournal.com
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org