[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Paul Gearon gearon at ieee.org
Wed Jan 14 06:44:25 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Arjen Lentz <arjen at lentz.com.au> wrote:
<snip/>
>> Again, notice the wording - free software.  I think the same wording
>> was
>> carried through each constitutional revision from 1995 onwards so it
>> predates the term "open source".  Open systems != open source.
>

> The constitution should probably be updated, but I think the above is
> quite usable anyway.
> GPL = free software, to keep it very simple.

Yes, Open Source is probably far more appropriate now. (Oh dear,
Stallman is going to come gunning for me now)  :-(

> This means that using Firefox is advancing the cause of free software
> (being GPL), even if it's run on Windows.
> Again, just an example, I do think HUMBUG should not specifically
> focus on being a Windows-transitional gang, but it would definitely be
> an aspect of appealing to a larger audience as well as increasing the
> uptake of Linux and other flavours (even Mac ;-)

Well it didn't include Mac originally.... unless you happened to Linux
on it (which quite a few kernel developers *were* doing). OSX changed
that, and was the reason for my own switch. Leopard's decision to not
support X11 was nearly a deal breaker for me, but fortunately the OSS
crowd came to the rescue.  :-)

Paul