[H-GEN] Room Bookings Update

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Wed Jan 14 05:47:40 EST 2009

Hi Paul,

On 14/01/2009, at 11:42 AM, Paul Gearon wrote:
>> Even though I never use Windows at home, I'm amazed at how it's all
>> but impossible to avoid at work.  I blame Exchange and Outlook.
>
> Actually, I'm using OSX, as are many of the people I work with (the
> rest use Linux). Between Mail/iCal on the Mac, and Evolution on the
> Linux boxes, then there doesn't seem to be much need for Windows
> (except for technical support).

This is a nerd-centric technical assessment, and has no bearing on the
psychological and political reality.

A very similar argument goes like this:
  A: Linux is clearly better, so everybody should be using it or
switch to it already.
  B: But you know that not everybody is using Linux. So why do you
think that might be?
  A: they're all wrong and stupid!!!
  B: [get a grip]

>> Online advertising, I suspect, would have to be better targeted.
>> Maybe we could even do targeted banner ads, if we could find
>> somebody to donate banner ad impressions or similar.  Would
>> somebody like Google come to the party for non-profits?  (Adwords
>> would be perfect, especially if we didn't have to pay for it)
>
> "pay for it" being the operative phrase.  :-)  Are Adwords
> geographically targetted at all?

Yes AdWords can be geo-targeted down to the city level, as well as
demografically by for instance gender and age.
So if you want to target more females between 18 and 24, it can be
done ;-)

It's an interesting idea, I could ask my Google OSS contacts if they
have some say over giveaways on the Google Ads end of things.
However, we need to sort out the other end first, and perhaps that
will make any elaborate marketing campaign unnecessary.

Cheers,
Arjen,
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au)
MySQL Training from $475/day, DBA/Support from $249/month

My blog is at http://arjen-lentz.livejournal.com
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org