[H-GEN] New Debian Stable Release

Adrian Sutton adrian at symphonious.net
Mon Feb 16 05:53:15 EST 2009

Another gotcha - mysql won't start if you do the upgrade but not a
dist-upgrade like I did (actually I messed up a bunch of stuff so this
may be very specific to my configuration).  The problem is:
/etc/init.d/mysql: ERROR: Using expire_logs_days without log_bin
crashes the server. See README.Debian.gz failed!

Edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf and uncomment the line that sets up log_bin and
mysql will happily start again.  Kudos to to the Debian team for such
a useful error message.

Also, for the dependency problems, most of them can be resolved by
upgrading apt-get and aptitude first, then doing the dist-upgrade as
noted in the release docs.  I also had to uninstall libcurl3-dev and
libcurl3-openssl-dev and the dist-upgrade uninstalled linux-kernel-
headers.  Afterwards I was able to reinstall libcurl3-dev and it
instead picked the updated libcurl4-openssl-dev.

So all appears to be good now, but definitely some issues there for
people to watch for when upgrading.

Cheers,

Adrian Sutton
http://www.symphonious.net