[H-GEN] My nomination for President

matheist76 at westnet.com.au matheist76 at westnet.com.au
Thu Aug 13 01:45:00 EDT 2009

Hi Guys,
        While the library doesn't get used very often I have been bringing quite regularly some choice books and we have had a bit of an increase in the number of books within the library and also people have borrowed on the odd occasion those books.

=== Private Pages ===
In relation to Russell's comments in regards to there being private wiki pages while he is correct there are private pages those pages are kept private for very good reasons.

The primary reason is that they contain contact details of both Exec members and other people that the Exec talk to. Now I'm as open as the next fellow but while I don't mind people gaining access to my email address I have issues with them knowing my contact ph numbers. This is due to in the past I have had threats made to me by unknown people over the telephone. Including one person who was going to bash my head in if I did give "y" back their jacket. I didn't know "y" and I sure as hell hadn't got their jacket. Most distressing.

There is also other information that must be kept secret. These are details that must be passed on from one Exec to next Exec and this has not happened in the past. Having a separate area enables the Exec to pass the information on. It means that provided it's recorded on the wiki then any Exec members have access to it when they need to. Having the wiki totally open may give people a warm feeling but having the information to deal with critical problems is I feel more important even if it has to be kept secret. Unfortunately it is just part and parcel of being in a group.

We do as an Exec try and keep as much open as possible and on the whole there isn't a lot that is kept a secret. Also I am mostly willing to share with anyone that asks, provided I know them, but it would be wrong to post that information on a very public website.

=== Librarian/SysAdmin ===
I personally have an issue with that as I am no Sys Admin and yet I am in the position that you would propose to change. My problem with that is within HUMBUG there are not a lot of members that are Sys Admins. My feeling is that we should try to do better to make the Sys Admins known rather than create a special spot on the Exec for them as we have a difficult enough time getting members let alone Execs.

Now I'm not saying that as a Unix club we don't have members who know about computers but some are programmers others are power users (I would love to have an arts power user in the club.) and some are just learning. The librarian role gives people like myself a chance to be a part of the Exec and learn new skills.

=== Times ===
There is the option of normal deputized members to take home the equipment. The real problem has been me. I have access to a car and since like staying at HUMBUG till midnight I have been taking home the equipment or taking it to Mark's place along with Mark. That's not to say that anyone else could not do it.

PS I normally wake up at 4am so that makes me an early riser.

=== Membership Forms ===
Okay I have a confession to make. I have been very lazy. Recently I posted to the Exec, then discussed openly at a meeting, that I order to create a membership database we need to know what information was required. It's mostly the same thing as always but I want to add emergency contact name and emergency contact ph number to the form.

I have almost got the form finished and the hope was to ask general what changes they would make. I'll supply this as both a svg as well as a pdf. This should be done by tonight.

I'll send the original email to general as well. That was my intention from the start but I really should have posted it to general in the first place.

=== The rest ===
Overall I agree with Russell that the Exec needs to be more open and accountable. I do agree with article 3 of his initial email which states.

"I will be asking each committee member to submit a formal written (electronic) report on their area of responsibility at each regular committee meeting.  These will become part of the minutes. If no report is submitted, the minutes will say "this slack-arse committee member didn't do their job" - or words to that effect.  If the secretary doesn't published minutes with 7 days, I guarantee to publish my own version sometime in the week following. "

The End.
Matthew Franklin (HUMBUG Librarian/Dogs body [I love dogs])

PS Russell I'll set up the 2009 AGM page with your nomination details and Agenda items. Sorry about taking so long as I am not the fastest of typist.