[H-GEN] My nomination for President

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Aug 12 22:26:30 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Russell Stuart wrote:

> The principle reason is I would like to see the club run a little more
> openly than it has been in the past.  To achieve that I want to change a
> few things:

Overall I like your proposal.  Some comments follow.

> 1.  Currently we have a number of private lists, such as the Exec list.
> We also have some "secret" lists, such as the SysAdmin list.  These are
> lists only a select few members know about, and even less are invited to
> join. To me this seems a very odd way of running a club that champions
> open source, as it is anything but open.  It also seems to be counter
> productive, as in people who might like to help out in these tasks
> aren't aware they can.

Fair point.   I'm not sure the sysadmin list is really closed or secret.
We just put the sysadmins and exec on it and left it at that.  It didn't
really occur to me to advertise it.   I wouldn't object to the list being
open.

> I prefer to see that the tasks that matter have people allocated to
> them.  So, if I am elected, the responsibilities will be:
>
>   Meeting scheduling           - Vice President.
>   Running meetings             - None elected - as scheduled by Vice.
>   Ensure computer systems work - Librarian.

I think a name change would be in order to go along with the significant
change in responsibilities.  In reality it would be a different position
entirely.

More on this in reply to Gaz, whos email arrived as I was typing this.

>  b.  Be:
>      i)    A financial member in good standing, and
>      ii)   have attended a majority of meetings in the last 3 months, and

I think this limitation is a bad idea.  There may well be suitably
responsible people who don't make meetings often (for various reasons) but
who could otherwise fulfil the role.

>      iii)  not be declared ineligible in the minutes of a committee
>            meeting.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
Projected IPv4 exhaustion: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html