[H-GEN] 3G router with OpenWRT

gavin duley gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au
Wed Apr 1 01:42:30 EDT 2009

On 1 Apr 2009, at 05:00, Nick Kwiatkowski wrote:

> Russell Stuart wrote on 01/04/2009 08:37:36 AM:
>>>
>>> I had been debating as to whether to go for an ATA + analogue
>>> phone or
>>> a VoIP phone. It sounds like I would be best just getting a VoIP
>>> phone. Out of interest, are there any cheap and reliable Australian-
>>> based VoIP hardware resellers that you could recommend? Most of the
>>> ones I have bookmarked seem to be either US or UK based, and I'm a
>>> little reluctant to just trust whatever the first one I find on
>>> Google
>>> is.
>>
>> VoIP hardware is a commodity item.  Your problem isn't finding a
>> supplier - use a search engine like staticice (which only returns

My main concern here is accidentally stumbling on a fraudulent
'reseller' who is happy to take my money but won't go as far as
sending me anything. This recently happened to Tim Berners-Lee -- if
it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone :-(

Yes, I'm probably just paranoid...

>> Australian retailers) to do that.  Your real problem is finding a
>> phone
>> you will like.  Nick says the Siemens C470-IP is good, so if you are
>> after a DECT phone go with that.  In the more traditional style of
>> phone, I think the Aastra 9133 provides the best price/quality
>> tradeoff.
>>
> whirlpool.net.au is the site that I got the best pointer to where to
> purchase the unit that I got. I like and use staticice, but it was
> from
> Whirlpool that I got the tip that I would be about to push JB-HiFi
> staff to
> get a good price for the unit.

Thanks. I'll have a look at both staticice and whirlpool.net.au. I'm
not certain at the moment whether to go for a DECT phone or a corded
phone, so I'll have a look at the Aastra 9133 too.

[...]
>> A more radial solution is a mobile phone that has 802.11 and SIP.
>> The
>> high end Nokia's do that.  Their quality is better than either of the
>> above.
>
> :) Can comment on that too, I have a Nokia N95 8G and have that set-
> up so I
> can make VoIP calls from home. I would say the call quality is on a
> par
> with the C470-IP unit so far.

Yes, this would be a nice solution too :-). Unfortunately, much as I
would like a Nokia N96 or a HTC G1 phone (I'm going to assume that
there would be a SIP client for this, too) this would require me to
change from prepaid to an expensive monthly phone plan. Since I hardly
ever use my mobile phone, this wouldn't be worthwhile.

gavin,

--
Have a place for everything and keep the thing somewhere else; this is
not advice, it is merely custom.

Gavin Duley
<gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://gpd.sdf-eu.org/