[H-GEN] archive.humbug.org.au

Benjamin Fowler somelamer567 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 18:52:06 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:22:46PM +0100, Benjamin Fowler wrote:
> > Those search results include a post to H-GEN made by me only a couple
> > of months ago (a post begging for recommendation for good comp geom
> > books, which, BTW, nobody bothered to answer).
>
> Oh yeah; I seem to have a copy of _Computational Geometry in C_ by
> Joseph O'Rourke, which I guess must've thought was alright given I
> bought it. It's the '98 printing of the second edition, by the looks;
> Amazon seems to have a 2001 printing in stock.
>
> Whenever I'm looking up something algorithmic, I still always start with
> Sedgewick's _Algorithms in C_, though; it has a section on comp. geom
> too, which is good, but doesn't cover everything in the field,
> obviously. Though that seems to have been rewritten into two books
> (algo/data/sorting/searching and graphs), which possibly no longer
> includes comp. geom? Seems weird.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I seem to remember a couple of people walking around with copies of
'Introduction to Computational Geometry' by Preparata and Shamos, which IIRC
was incredibly expensive although just now, it's "only" $US71 on the US
Amazon, (okay, a bit much for a book to read for playing around at home).
O'Rourke looks promising.

I've got both Sedgewick's 'Algorithms in C++' and 'Introduction to
Algoritms' (CLR, second edition).  I think at some stage, I decided that
Sedgewick was redundant, since CLR covers everything I need, with more
depth.   It covers the basics of everything I need... but for some area,
like comp geom, it just seems that I need a proper book on the subject to
get beyond the basics.

Cheers,

Ben.

(patting his trusty copy of CLR sitting on his desk at work, having lugged
it all the way to London on his last trip over. Worth at least its weight in
excess luggage...).