[H-GEN] LCA 2010 Bid Postscript

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sun Oct 5 07:08:50 EDT 2008

For people who are not on the bid committee this will be the last
you hear from me on our LCA 2010 bid until Linux Australia publicly
announces the result.  Traditionally that happens at the prior
LCA - ie LCA 2009 in Hobart in this case.

Stewart said before his departure the decision will be made in
about two weeks time, and the teams will know the result soon
after.  Obviously, the teams are expected to keep the outcome
confidential until Linux Australia announces it.  This is
difficult, so please make it easier by not asking or speculating.

As for the bid itself - win or loose, its finished.  If we have
anything more to do with LCA 2010, it will be as the host city.
I remember this time last year I was mentally making a list of
things we could do better next time.  There were a few items on
it - speakers dinner, putting more effort into showing the LA
inspection around and so on.  This year I can't think of a thing -
which will be a problem if we loose.

Yesterday was fantastic.  Everyone was keen, the turnout was
great.  We don't know yet if it convinced Stewart everyone in
Humbug was keen to host LCA 2010, but it sure as hell convinced
me.  Equally Brisbane Marketing did a great job of showcasing
the city on Friday. They choose the itinerary, and showed a
good understanding of what we were trying to do in their
choices.  And Leisa, our Brisbane Marketing guide for the day,
was both professional and a pleasure to be with.

So thanks to everyone.  I hope your efforts mean you have
appointed me a your slave driver in 2009-2010.

And remember, be nice to each other.  Bad things happen if you
aren't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Knight