[H-GEN] Fw: QUT Faculty of IT, Industry Presentation: Simon Phipps, Sun Microsystems

Nick Kwiatkowski nickolas at au1.ibm.com
Wed May 21 07:47:25 EDT 2008

FYI, in case some of you maybe interested and aren't on this list

Nickolas Kwiatkowski
Senior IT Architect (Certified)
Architecture Services
Global Business Services - Application Services
IBM Global Services, Brisbane, Australia
phone:  07 3213 2149,  mobile:  0412 121 276,  email:  nickolas at au1.ibm.com
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - Albert Einstein
----- Forwarded by Nick Kwiatkowski/Australia/IBM on 21/05/2008 09:45 PM
-----
|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Naomi Andrew <n.andrew at qut.edu.au>                                                                                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Undisclosed recipients:;                                                                                                                  |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |21/05/2008 05:59 PM                                                                                                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |QUT Faculty of IT, Industry Presentation:  Simon Phipps, Sun Microsystems                                                                 |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Sun Microsystems and the Faculty of Information Technology at QUT are
pleased to invite you to an industry presentation by Mr Simon Phipps, Chief
Open Source Officer at Sun Microsystems. Simon will talk about "Open Source
and The Adoption-Led market: Preparing for the Open Source Wave".

Date:  Tuesday 27th May 2008
Time:  2:30pm for 3:00pm start to 4:00pm
Location: OJW Room, Level 12, S Block, Gardens Point campus, QUT Map at:
http://www.qut.edu.au/about/location/gp_webmapg2008.pdf
RSVP:  to RSVP please email Brianna Gibbins at b.gibbins at qut.edu.au

Abstract
========
Open Source will form the root of 90% of commercial software by 2012
according to Gartner. Software developed by Sun will form a huge slice of
that. The open source origins of business software mean that software is
being driven into business use through the procurement process by vendors
less and less. Instead, it is being adopted from the open source community.
If we change the way we talk about software entering businesses we can also
change a great deal of how others understand what is happening as well as
understand open source business models more easily. This talk explores the
adoption-led trend and paradigm and considers its consequences for the Open
Source software movement and for the businesses engaging with it.

Bio
===
*According to Gartner "No other major IT platform vendor has committed so
much **of its core assets to the open-source software model as Sun
Microsystems." *

Other global IT companies have expanded their own open-source strategies in
recent years, but only Sun has literally open-sourced nearly the entire
family of products, that is, its intellectual property (IP) from its
operating system, chipsets through to Java. Sun also recently finished the
acquisition of MySQL, the open-source database management system (DBMS) and
is in the process of integrating it into the Sun family of products. These
are bold moves for Sun and place it firmly in a position of thought
leadership at the forefront of an evolving IT industry.

Simon joined Sun in mid-2000. He is the Chief Open Source Officer at Sun
Microsystems, co-ordinating Sun's extensive participation in free and open
source software communities, promoting consistency and best practice and
actively participating in the global conversation they express. Prior to
this appointment he co-founded Sun's pioneering staff weblog facility at
blogs.sun.com.

As a computer industry insider of 20+ years, Simon has served on the
Community Advisory Boards of OpenSolaris and currently serves on the GNOME,
OpenSPARC and OpenJDK communities. He holds a degree in electronic
engineering and is a Chartered Engineer and Member of the British Computer
Society where he is on the committee of his local branch.

Simon's personal home page and blog is http://www.webmink.net