[H-GEN] Three Mobile 3G broadband

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Tue May 6 21:43:31 EDT 2008

Hello Russell,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:37:15AM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 11:10 +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> > Are you in an area without Three Mobile coverage setup a successful
> > PPP session with your 3G modem to *any* provider, then I would like
> > to exchange some logfiles if that's fine with you.
>
> I did have a 3 Huawei 3G modem, and it "just worked"
> for me under Linux.  I am not sure what your problem

It works just for me too in areas where there is Three Mobile
coverage, but not where there is no coverage. How do I know there
is no coverage? My mobile phone tells me :-)

> is - I am guessing you want it to work when there is
> no 3G coverage - ie when you are using Telstra's GSM
> network?  If so beware that your will be paying $1.65
> per megabyte.

> I don't have the 3G modem any more - it was bought for
> my daughter.  However I do have my 3 phone, and I do
> use it to connect to the net on occasion via PPP.  I
> used the same setup for both the phone and the modem.
> I can collect some logs from the phone, if you like.
> Getting out of 3G range may pose a challenge, though,
> so it may take a while.

When the time is there, can you please send me some logs of a session
in the area where there is coverage and logs of a session outside
an area where there is coverage so I can compare? The more verbose
the better (most of the time, although I'm most likely interested
in the IPCP phase (i.e. the one where IP addresses and DNS servers
get exchanged).

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org