[H-GEN] RepRapping in Brisbane!

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Mar 27 23:34:31 EDT 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Arjen Lentz wrote:

> Homo sapiens self-replicates and causes no end of trouble to itself and its
> surroundings.

Hi Arjen.  An excellent point.  There are now more than 6.5 billion
humans.  The human population is projected to peak around 9-10 billion
(depending on who is doing the estimate).  This is a scary number.

> In my view, not necessarily more than any other self-replicating entity that
> already exists.

I expect some future self replicating robot to be more significantly
efficient than all self replicating entities that have come before.  As
such they may well outclass the current dominant species.  One could argue
it is evolution in action :)

> Considering our own situation, I have no doubt that there will be problems.
> As for civilisation, that's a very relative concept. How civilised are we,
> really (but that's a whole other can of worms we shouldn't start on here)

I considered whether I was going to use the word civilisation or another
word.  I was actually trying to be non-sensationalist.  I should simply
have said what I meant:

If robots which can self replicate by consuming their surroundings can be
built then the long term survival of the human species is under serious
threat.  The potential for exponential growth of their population
following a single failure of population containment leads me to conclude
that a human disaster (and possible extinction) would be an inevitable
consequence of building such machines.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"