[H-GEN] Solaris/Linux Systems Admin position in QUT - IHBI

listpuppy listpuppy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 08:18:10 EDT 2008

2008/7/24 Greg Black <gjb at yaxom.com>:

> I'd imagine that would depend on the skills of the applicant.

I'd imagine that the skills of the 'potentially successful' applicant
would depend
on the selection criteria specified in the advertisement.

> I would certainly find it hard to pay $60k to an applicant for a sys admin job
> who thought top-posting was OK or who was unable to operate their editor
> sufficiently well to trim the irrelevant matter from the quoted text in
> their message.

My experience, over the last 6-8 years, strongly suggests that NOT top-posting
only causes confusion and mis-understanding on the part of most recipients.

I now offer an apology to those on this list who are sufficiently
intelligent and
knowledgeable to deal with a message that is not a 'top-post'.  Unfortunately,
my commercial experience, decrees that you are a minority.

> And I'd probably be a bit wary about even responding to
> somebody who had to hide behind a pseudonym.

Given:
a) how rampant identity theft has become,
b) how many Microsoft IIS servers are on the Internet,
c) my being, amongst other things, a Microsoft Certified Systems
Engineer (MCSE), and
d) being au fait with the resulting security implications,
I am no longer prepared to use my real identity unless I know exactly
to whom, and under
what circumstances, I am revealing it.

> On the other hand, if we were talking about a really skilled person who
> was fully au fait with the desired skills, perhaps it might be a little low.

That's exactly what I thought, but wasn't completely sure given the dynamic
nature of the job market in today's economic climate. Thanks for the
support. :-)