[H-GEN] ComputerBank Queensland ( was BCC ewaste weekend this weekend 26/27 July 2008)

Simon Ellis ellis777 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 21 02:56:46 EDT 2008

Hello everyone.

Recycling is good but reuse is better.

If it's still working and up to about 5 years old, you can always consider
ComputerBank Queensland where we reuse older computer equipment instead of
just recycling.

ComputerBank Queensland is a not for profit organisation, formed and run by
dedicated volunteers on a part time basis.
We are a group of volunteers wanting to reuse technology to benefit the
Community and have been operating for about 8 years.
We rely on the generosity and good will of our donors and volunteers.

Primarily we consider IT equipment up to about 5 years old and in good
working order.
We will consider Notebooks, non Intel machines, Servers, Apple Macs,
printers, networking equipment and parts, particularly RAM and Hard Disks,
keyboards, mice, cables, power cords etc.
We have stopped considering CRT monitors less than 17 " and have limited
consideration of other CRT monitors, due to space considerations.
We may consider other equipment.

We inspect and clean up machines before use. Disk drives are wiped and
reformatted with a non-Microsoft file system, so any previous data is
irretrievable. To minimise our costs, maximise the performance and
reliability and minimise the maintenance of the systems we donate, we have
chosen to use and load Open Source Software such as Linux and the Open
Office suite.
Software developed by the World Community for the benefit of the World
Community.

Currently, on the more capable machines, we have standardised on Ubuntu
Linux. On the less capable machines we have standardised on Vector Linux
Standard 5.8.

We donate systems and equipment to Community Groups, Youth Groups, Aged Care
facilities, schools, disadvantaged families and individuals and other
worthwhile recipients. Over the years we have donated hundreds of machines.

So if you would like to reuse, rather than just recycle, computer equipment
send an email to

mailbox.cbq.org.au
with the subject
Computer Donation.