[H-GEN] symlink fun

Patrick Nichols pat at humbug.org.au
Sat Feb 23 20:56:11 EST 2008

Hi,

This is a little tricky for me to do reliably, so I'm asking for help.

I've got a bunch of music sorted nicely into directories, and I want to
make a symlinked version of it which is sorted by album year.  For example
I have the following directories:

/var/data/_Compilations_/...
/var/data/_Classical_/...
/var/data/Artist Name/(YYYY) Album Name/
/var/data/Artist Name/(YYYY) Album Name/
/var/data/Artist Name/(sYYYY) Album Name/

I want it to parse all the album dates and ouput a tree, while leaving any
_category_ directories unlinked.  Such as the following:

/var/data/_1950s_/(1952) Mario Lanza - Some old Album/
/var/data/_1960s_/(YYYY) Rolling Stones - Blah, Blah, Blah!/
/var/data/_1970s_/(sYYYY) Skyhooks - Album name/

...and so on.

The (sYYYY) denotes a singles cd, (YYYY) denotes a full album or EP.

Any ideas on how to do this in a fairly robust way, skipping any album
without a year if one doesn't exist.  Currently my music is very well
labelled, but it may slide in and out of this consistency.

Thanks,
Patrick.

--
Patrick Nichols