[H-GEN] Flash drives and wear levelling: user experiences?

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at panix.com
Fri Aug 1 08:11:33 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Benjamin Fowler <somelamer567 at gmail.com> wrote:

> OpenBSD seems like a reasonable choice for a hardened minimalist distribution for what I have in mind, that is, if you could having a compiler on a production machine (to keep it patched) "minimalist"...!

Usually I would be the last person to argue against having a compiler
installed, but in this case I think you may want to avoid it.  Why not
buy two systems, or at least experiment on one until everything works,
then buy a fresh one to install and run.  It seems to me that having a
development system from which you can deploy changes will save you
grief in the long run.

As regards your original question, walking the halls at work a few
months ago I found someone doing pretty much what you describe.  I
asked about wear leveling and the limited number of writes and he
managed to convince me it was not a problem, and had not been a
problem in real-life use for him.  The answer you already have seems
much more detailed and satisfying, though.

jasonp