[H-GEN] Using Perl scripts to send mail

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Oct 26 20:31:29 EDT 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Rick Phillips wrote:

> to time.  He also uses this for announcements which are small (30k).  He
> uses the perl mail::sendmail to send this mail but finds that it takes
> six or more seconds to send each email.  My server runs qmail which I
> have used for many years and find to be rock solid and absolutely
> trouble free.

I use this module in a script on my site, it sends a 20K notice in 0
seconds locally, and typically 3 to 4 seconds remotely, some can take up
to 10 or so seconds, it depends heavily on the remote site, remember
Sendmail's "GreetPause" option, and of course almost every MTA's ident
timeout value and so on.

If he's concerned with it, maybe use a proper mailing list, something
small fast and lightweight like Ecartis would do well, you can set
batch to small value and have many concurrent sends to reduce the time.
I use Ecartis with a list of 1700 odd members, using sendmail it's all
done in under a minute, Qmail performed equally as well with it on the
old list server.

--
Cheers
Res