[H-GEN] revision control vs confused operator

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Sun Nov 25 04:37:33 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 01:00:38PM +1000, mick wrote:

> one person currently
> one location
> 2 packages of C source code, about 400 files in each (source, headers, auto
> tools, support data)

Mick,

Unless you never intend to share you source code with other people
then the suggestions of Subversion are probably a good idea.

Subversion however is a slow and outdated revision control system
based on the idea that a repository should be central and has no
concept of branching and distributing your work is harder then it's
worth.

Instead I would highly recommend that you use a Distributed Revision
Control System such as Mercurial. Other great tools such as Git
also exist, however I find Git to be terribly complicated to use
and understand some of it's features and command-set. Git is also
not very well supported on the Windows platform.

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/

cheers
James

-"Problems are Solved by Method"