[H-GEN] Pacific.net.au FreeBSD mirror

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Nov 2 02:18:54 EDT 2007

On 2007-11-02, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> While trying to figure out why the FreeBSD distributions were not
> updated on the Australian mirrors, the pacific.net.au mirror
> (ftp3.au.freebsd.org) got taken offline:
>
>     The FreeBSD directory was deleted this morning, literally an
>     hour before your message came in, when our arrays ran out of
>     space.

How pathetic.  One of the few reasons to stick with them has been the
"free" access to their mirrors.

> But....
>
>     I don't have much time to dedicate to this, but if you could
>     provide me with a <200GB subset of FreeBSD available from a
>     reliable rsync target, we could probably mirror FreeBSD again.

Personally, I can't see the point of them carrying a partial mirror and
I find it more than a little odd that they can't find space to do this
properly.

> Based on the data ofhttp://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/hubs/mirror-requirements.html,
> the full repository is about 400 Gb (that is included packages,
> distfiles, snapshots and others).
>
>     general:
> 	CERT                          31,690	*
> 	branches                     389,668	*
> 	development                7,723,476	*
> 	doc                        2,486,522	*
>
>     distfiles:
> 	ports/distfiles           83,603,896	*
> 	ports/local-distfiles      4,247,132	*
>
>     ISOs:
> 	releases                  29,880,336	*
> 	snapshots                 41,272,204
>
>     packages:
> 	ports/amd64               62,582,866
> 	ports/i386                70,881,696
> 	ports/ia64                35,418,152
> 	ports/sparc64             47,143,248
>
> The ones with a * behind it are the important ones (from my point
> of view) and I will tell them that these are the ones they should
> mirror.
>
> If I have made a mistake in my observations, then this is the moment
> to reply to me :-)

I think the only mistake is to consider partial mirrors.  It's too much
of a pain dealing with an incomplete mirror, so I guess I don't care
what they carry if they can't be bothered to do it right.

Greg