[H-GEN] GIS viewer wanted

andrew laidlaw aa_laidlaw at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 27 20:51:33 EDT 2007

Hi Mick.

> Is there a small open downloadable GIS viewer, and where can I get it?

QGIS ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/qgis/ ) is a linux package that will
handle the .shp ( and maybe the .shx, I think the .shx is 'part of' the .shp)
that is fairly simple for casual use.

Thanks mick,

That looks like a good chance.

The above site has binaries for debian and an FC4 .rpm but doesn't mention suse binaries at all.  I assume the above are unlikely to run on my OS, and so I'll need the tar.gz source?   I've only ever installed a couple of those, and can't find install instructions for this one on the website.  Will they likely be found in the (10MB= ~1hour) download tar.gz repository?

regards.... andrew.