[H-GEN] Problems with Realtek 8169 network adapter

Anthony Irwin anthony at server101.com
Thu Mar 8 22:45:09 EST 2007

Gary Curtis wrote:

> My problem is problem is NOT making the card work, my
> problem is that many times it is not visible at all. I've worked
> out that the problem is warmbooting. On a complete cold
> start the card comes up every time. On a warmstart the card
> never shows.  Why?
>
> Has anyone had any similar experiences?
>
> ...and, most importantly, can this be fixed without changing
> the mobo?  Short term [forever], I'm going to buy a cheap
> 8139 based PCI card to ease the pain. :-(

The last company I worked for has some troubles with onboard network
cards. I can't remember the specifics of what was happening but we
ended up buying network cards for the offending machines.

If you do get a network card to replace the on board one make sure you
disable the onboard network card in the bios as you won't want to use
it and then can be certain it won't get in the way at a future date.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin