[H-GEN] LCA 2009 Logo

gavin duley gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au
Thu Jul 12 00:52:44 EDT 2007

On 12 Jul 2007, at 13:52, Anthony Irwin wrote:

>> I've uploaded at modified version. It's at the same URL as above.
>> I'd be interested to see what others thought.
>
> Hi,
>
> I think that the new concept for the logo is better and feels more
> professional. I don't really like how the linux.conf.au text has a
> blurred look to it and feel there should be a space between the
> brisbane text and the linux.conf.au text as it looks like it is
> crammed in there.

Putting text really close together like this probably should be
listed as one of my faults ;-). I was a bit uncertain about blurring
the linux.conf.au text myself, but was getting overexcited with some
of the fancier features in InkScape -- a program I'd not used before.
Plus I quite like slightly blurred text ;-)

On that note, the '2009' has a colour gradient in it because InkScape
kept insisting on turning solid colour to gradient. I kept changing
it back again, until I looked at it again and decided I quite liked
the colour gradient. Maybe it has better taste than me :-)

I'll make a few changes to it this evening, but if anyone else wants
to beat me to it feel free.

Also, On 12 Jul 2007, at 14:16, Russell Stuart wrote:

> [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug
> and     ]
> [ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will
> vanish. ]
>
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 13:33 +1000, gavin duley wrote:
>> I've uploaded at modified version. It's at the same URL as above. I'd
>> be interested to see what others thought.
>
> Overall its slightly busier that the original, which
> is good.  Personally I think "Brisbane" and
> "linux.conf.au" are too close together.

As noted above, moving them probably is a good idea.

>> From here on in, I am just relaying what Andy has told
> me when we met.  He seems to know rather a lot about
> this logo business.  I hope he will chime in some time
> soon.
>
> a.  We don't have a choice of what font we use.  LA
>     has a "linux.conf.au" font, and we must use that.
>     Andy knows what it is.

Hmm... this makes things more, erm, interesting.

Looking at the logo on http://linux.conf.au/ it looks very much like
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitstream_Vera
(note the sample given as a picture here is Bitstream Vera Sans, not
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono -- the distinctive 'l' found in the
linux.conf.au logo is only in the Sans Mono variant)

Wikipedia notes:
"Currently, the DejaVu fonts — a derivative of Bitstream Vera — are
gaining the role as default fonts in GNU/Linux.[citation needed]

"Also, the Bitstream Vera fonts are available for users of
OpenOffice.org to download through the FontOOo wizard."

> b.  Andy did say we would have to produce several
>     versions for different medium's: eg tee shirts.
>     I have no idea what that entails, but its now on
>     the todo list.

Not certain either. Some may need to use less colours, or be
monochromatic. Versions for t-shirts should not have this sort of
problem though.

> c.  The colours could be improved, and all suggestions
>     are welcome. [1]

Colours seem fine to me as they are.

gavin,

--
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.
         -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Gavin Duley
<gpd at snoopy.apana.org.au> <gpd at sdf-eu.org>
WWW: http://gpd.sdf-eu.org/